Acqua A5 - System On Module
Linux embedded system on module designed around the Atmel SAMA5D31 Cortex-A5 MPU
- Atmel MPU SAMA5D31 Cortex-A5 @ 536MHz
- 256MByte DDR2 RAM @ 32 bit (optional 512MB)
- Embedded µSD hinge type holder for OS and data
- Optional 256 MByte of NAND FLASH on board
- Atmel AT24MAC402 on-board:
- Factory-Programmed unique EUI-48 address
- I2C-Compatible (2-wire) 2-Kbit Serial EEPROM
- Embedded Unique 128-bit Serial Number
- 10/100 Mbit ethernet I/F (can be turned off for power saving)
- Three USB Host ports (one configurable as USB device)
- Integrated 24 bit LCD controller and resistive touch panel I/F
- Four status leds
- Single power supply at 3.3 Volt DC
- Three 50-pin connectors pitch 1.27 mm (50 mils)
- Floating Point Unit
- Low power consumption and low EMI
- RoHS compliant
- Commercial (-0 +70 °C) or Extended (-25 +85 °C) temp. range
- Size: 53 x 53 mm (2.09x2.09 inches), weight: 14g
- Placement for metal shield for harsh environment
- AES/DES encryption engine
- Software compatibility with Atmel SAMA5D3 Xplained board
- 10/100 Mbit ethernet phy
- RGB i/f @ 24 bit for LCD TFT
- Resistive touch panel i/f
- TWI compatible I2C i/f (up to 3)
- SPI bus i/f (up to 2)
- GPIO lines (up to 120)
- A/D @ 12 bit (up to 12)
- Timer counters (up to 2)
- Serial ports (up to 6)
- 3 USB Host, 1 USB device
- Memory Card i/f (up to 2)
- ITU-R BT 601/656 image sensor i/f
- PWM (up to 6)
- SSC-I2S audio i/f (up to 2)
- Programmable clock (up to 3)
- JTAG port on pads
- Debug serial port
- Battery input for internal RTC
All the software running on Acqua A5 is freely downloadable from the
Acme Systems or Atmel web site and is fully Open Source.
The board is fully compatible with the
Atmel SAMA5D3 Xplained board
so from the Atmel site
it is possible to download and use also Yocto and BuildRoot.
On this site we'll explain how to compile from sources or how to create
a bootable microSD using the ready-to-run binary images of a
Debian 7.5 with Linux Kernel 3.10.
Top side view
Bottom side view
- To buy samples use our eShop
- To have a written proforma for volume quantities Contact us
- We sell and ship our products directly from Italy
- For q.ty <100 pcs the lead time is about 1 week
MicroSD hinge type holder
To open the Acqua microSD holder apply a gentle pression to the metallic
shield then shift it ahead.
Metallic shield for harsh environment
If you plan to use Acqua A5 in an electromagnetic noisy environment (for example
near DC motors) it is possible to place a metallic shield made by Wurth Elektronik
to better protect the board from external EMI.
This shield is composed by two parts:
- a metallic open frame to be welded to the board
- a removable metallic cover
To getting started with Acqua A5 we made some cheap boards
called BERTA A5 which have a placement for the Acqua module
and some peripherals already mounted.
- BERTA-A5-BASIC is just a breakout board to have all the
Acqua A5 pins exposed on strip pitch 2.54mm (100mils).
- BERTA-A5-EXTENDED like the BASIC model but with power supply,
Ethernet and USB connectors already mounted
- BERTA-A5-LCD like the EXTENDED model plus
a TFT display 4.3, 5 or 7 inch with resistive touch panel.
SAMA5D3 ARM Cortex-A5 Microprocessors
"Based on the ARM® Cortex™-A5 processor, the Atmel® SAMA5D3
series of microprocessor units (MPUs) operates at up to 536MHz (850DMIPS)
at under 150mW, delivering a high-performance, low-power platform
for cost-sensitive industrial and consumer applications"
Third party news about Acqua
Acme Systems srl
Via Aldo Moro 53 - 00055 Ladispoli (RM) - Italy
Tel +39.06.99.12.187 - Fax +39.06.622.765.31
Iscritta al Registro delle Imprese di Roma al n. 08114831004
Atmel© Certified Partner
Acme Systems provides this documentation "as is" without warranty or guarantees of any kind.
We not provide any direct support for the Open Source preinstalled software but, through
these pages and forum posts, all of the information required to obtain the sources, install, use and update the
Open Source software that can be run on the Acme boards.
Please note that all of the preinstalled software, used on the Acme Systems products, are Open Source so you have
to check the license terms provided by the authors (usually the GPL) before using it in any commercial or non-commercial
product, by yourself.
Before to contact us please note that WE ARE MAINLY HARDWARE DESIGNERS
and NOT LINUX GURUS and therefore could be better to post your questions to the
Acme Systems forum and ensure
that all of the site contributors and large software community can read and reply to
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.